Cinco de Cuatro

I know there is something not quite right about the title of this post, but that is actually the story...

Sometimes I take my lunch to work and eat at my desk while I work. It saves money and gives me a little more time to catch up on work. However, I always eat out on Fridays, usually with the guys I work with. Several years ago, maybe 10 or more, Cinco de Mayo fell on a Saturday. So the day before, I went around the office trying to muster up interest in going to eat Mexican for "Cinco de Cuatro". A lot of the guys were interested and no one said there was anything peculiar about my newly proclaimed holiday. After talking to around a half-dozen people around work, one of the guys said to me, "Did you know you have been saying five of four all day?"

I took French in high school (a lot of good that did me) but I knew enough Spanish to immediately recognize that I'd been saying it wrong all day...to multiple people. (It should have been "Cuatro de Mayo" for any of you that might be asking.) The funny thing is how that has stuck. There are still a few people around the office from way back then and the legend of Cinco de Cuatro is still propogated. Every year now we have a tradition of going out to eat on "Cinco de Cuatro" to beat the Cinco de Mayo rush. This year it fell today, on a Sunday, so we won't enjoy quite the same tradition this time around. But as a family, today we celebrated Cinco de Cuatro after church at Sol Azteca in Vestavia. (We were headed there anyway before we realized what day it is.)

Happy Cinco de Cuatro everybody!

1 comment:

JBL said...

I had an idea about where that was going when I saw the title. That's pretty funny.