A Taste of Football

Tomorrow (at 2:00 PM CDT) is the NFL Draft, a small taste of football excitement in a time of the year when football is for the most part absent. This year they have a new format. They will only have the first and second rounds on Saturday, with the remaining rounds on Sunday. The first round will be 10 minutes between picks (instead of 15), the second round will only be 7 minutes between picks, and all subsequent rounds will only be 5 minutes between picks. I guess the NFL is trying to make it much more watchable.

As a New Orleans Saints fan, of course I'm very interested in their picks. They have the #10 pick in the second round. As a Troy University fan and alumnus, I'm excited to see maybe the second first round pick they've ever had in Leodis McKelvin. (The first was Demarcus Ware, drafted 11th in 2005. Osi Umenyiora was drafted in the second round in 2003.) In the best of all worlds, the Sporting News' annual correspondents mock draft had the Saints picking him at the number 10 position.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm also interested to see where McFadden and Dorsey land. With the exciting names and the faster format, this year's draft is going to be a good one.

1 comment:

JBL said...

You know, I thought last week that the draft was the following weekend. I was wrong. I've been busier this week and haven't been able to keep up. I'll be watching as much as I can. Geaux Saints! We need a good defense and a healthy Deuce.