The Power of Popular Thought

It amazes me sometimes the power that popular thinking on a subject has, often spurred on by the media, and backed up by those who have much to gain. Two powerful examples of this are man-made global warming and evolution. Opponents of each of these are often ridiculed and persecuted because "everyone knows" that man-made global warming is real and that the universe happened by chance.

Man-made global warming advocates are many, to the point that even the Weather Channel is on board. Why is that the case? If you look at what James Spann, a well-respected local meteorologist in Birmingham, says, it is a matter of following the money. Those who have livelihood to gain from man-made global warming have a loud and popular voice. The media cooperates so much with this position that often evidence to the contrary isn't heard, and hence, most people don't question it. Channel 4 in Great Britain had a great documentary on the subject. It is a long one but is quite well done and very understandable.



I apologize for the German subtitles. I couldn't find the original in its entirety without the subtitles.

Evolution is another belief that has much support because many don't question it. As a believer in a literal 6-day creation as the Bible describes, it often surprises people to find that out. It doesn't make sense to some of those that know me that I would believe such a thing, because it is a given to them that all that we see around us is the result of chance over billions of years. Although some people I know are well-read on the subject, most don't even question it. In fact, many often don't know that there are a lot of scientists who believe what I believe (or more importantly, what the Bible says). In fact, those that believe this in the scientific community are often persecuted. Ben Stein, not really a Biblical creationist himself, has released a documentary that I really want to see about this. Here is the trailer.


1 comment:

JBL said...

A coworker of mine saw this film last weekend (Expelled) and said it was really well done. I look forward to seeing it myself.