Meeting Neighbors

One of the things that has bothered me since I moved back at the end of May is that we hadn't met any of our neighbors. In the neighborhood I used to live we all knew each other. In fact when we moved in to my former neighborhood, there were several families we hung out with in our cul-de-sac. Our kids would play together, we had Memorial Day and Christmas parties together, the ladies would go out together once a month, and the guys even did a Bible study together. The funny thing is that even after everyone has moved away, we still have had a Christmas party together for the last few years. (We were last of the original group to move away.) I've missed that.

Things began to change last Saturday. John had to sell popcorn for the Cub Scouts so now he and I had to go around and meet neighbors. Overall it was a good experience. I met some nice people, one of whom invited John to come play with her boys whenever they were out. I also met a couple that we first walked by because we didn't want to interrupt them when they were fixing their car. On the way back to our house, they were done so we stopped by. She and her husband were working on their car to save the big expense of repairing it. She also looked at the prices of the popcorn and knew she couldn't buy any. Somewhere in the conversation, God was prompting me to ask her about her situation and if I could pray for her. She told me about her situation and I told her I would pray for her, which she seemed to genuinely appreciate. Pray that God can direct me and Laura in other ways we may can be used by God to help them.

No comments: